Sunday, January 23, 2011

There is no finish line

A week from today I will be done with my second half marathon. I am excited and nervous. I know I am ready but still, the nerves are there.

We had a great 5.2 tempo run on Saturday. It was actually fun.  And amazing how 5.2 miles seems so short now when in October I was barely making it when I ran 5 with my Dad when in IL for my cousin's wedding. We are all going to meet an hour before the race and at least start together.  My problem the last half three years ago was I started out way too fast, got a cramp and finished okay but felt like crap. I want to FEEL good this time, no matter what my time is.  It is nice to have this support group, and of course I am happy my dad will be running as well...even though he'll finish at least 30 mins ahead of me!

I really started thinking about running on Saturday.  Yeah, since the holiday season and my whole knee thing I haven't been as motivated or hard core as I was back before mid November. But I have stuck with it.  I started thinking about why I feel in love with running in the first place. Not because I was good at it, which helped, or that is what our family's 'sport' was...but the inner confidence and serious therapy it really is!! 

I remembered an old Nike campaign 'There is no finish line'. And that is true with running. You can run a million races and yet, ever run is different. Every run or race you discover something new about your form, your breathing, your stride and best of all yourself.  It's never finished. 

So as I run this race on Sunday I am going to be thinking of that. That the reason I even trained for this thing is to re-introduce my life to running. And yes, it's hard to fit it in some days, I can be lazy and I am more tried due to MS and my age, weight. But I NEED it to be a part of my life.  Which is why I am already planning future races, more as check points to keep me accountable but I think soon, this year, I won't be running to train for something...I'll be running for the joy of running again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment