Monday, January 31, 2011

13.1 - Been there, run that.

Sunday January 30, 2011. The big 3M Half Marathon I have been training for since September!  With some minor set backs along the training way (my knee, my laziness) I was ready for the race!

I haven't run a big race like this since I ran the Peachtree Road race 10K back in 2005.  This isn't as big as that race but still capped out at 6000 runner. The last half I did in 2007 was much much smaller and a totally flat course on gravel path.

The course for this race was really great however. Mostly flat and down hill with a couple inclines and one or two 'hills'.  All on the streets, through some neighborhoods and the last mile or so was through UT campus ending right downtown and Waterloo Park.

However, I was NOT prepared for the weather.  70 and humid during the run, horrible running conditions for it being end of January.

Instead of hoping to feel like this:














I felt like this:

It felt like I was running in a swimming pool.  I started out slower because I was nervous and the last half I did three years ago I started waaaay too fast and DIED near the end.  Also, it took a few miles to adjust to the horrible humidity.  There was a girl with her friend right by me at the first mile that gave some great words of advice that I overheard.  All these people were running off and she told her friend 'don't worry, we'll pass them all at the end'. That really helped me to slow down, take it easy as I got into my groove.

I got a side cramp almost immediately due to that fact.  I got water and gatorade at the first two water stops and by about mile 5 it was finally starting to subside. Luckily between mile 4-5 it was all downhill so I picked up my pace a little without having to work too hard.

Finally I got in a groove about mile 6-7. But between 7-9 was a slight incline on a long stretch of commerical area with stores etc.  I drive it every week at least.  The good thing was all the spectators! I was amazed at how many people were out there cheering etc. It was like a party for them!  That really really helped my mind but it was tough. REALLY tough. I know I slowed a little.

At mile 10 though you turn and then it's basically a straight shot in, through one of my favorite neighborhoods in town.  There were people out on their lawns etc. cheering.  It was pretty flat so I got back into a good pace. My dad (who had already finished) met up with me about mile 11 to run it in with me. I was tired, but not dying (except from sweating!!).

I had a nice strong finish. Time was 2:14:18.  I was going for 2:10 but with the humid conditions I am pretty happy with my results. If it were cooler and not humid I think I could have pushed myself to finish close to 2 hours.  Give me a goal to beat for the next one!!  I was 2691 out of 6000 runners. I only walked to stop to get water at the water stops. Even then it was only 20 seconds or so to down the water and then I kept going. So I RAN the whole thing, which was my main goal.

Of course, my dad was like 600 something and 17th in his 'old man' age group (55-60) finishing about 1:42. And he said he was 'taking it easy' due to the crappy conditions.  He's been running in below freezing temperatures in Chicago so this was huge adjustment for him.

Jon was going to be there to see the finish and take us home. I kept looking for him but didn't see him. I got so upset thinking he slept in!!  I was pissed off after the race.  But then, he found us and he HAD been there but has never been to a race before and got all turned around and confused as to where to stand. He didn't realize it's like a big party afterwards with food, drinks music. I felt bad for being mad then.  He said next one he'll know what to expect and SEE me finish. :-)

Over all it was a great experience. I will keep running with my training group until that is over when they all run the Austin Half in three weeks (I'll be Vegas so I won't be running that one). I plan to do a 10K in March and another Half in April that will be tough, and hilly.  Hoping to research some other running groups I can do long runs with on the weekend in preparation for that race. The goal is to KEEP RUNNING, making it part of my lifestyle.  Hopefully I won't get hurt/lazy and I will actually lose some weight and tone up my arms/stomach more.

I am proud of myself however. Looking forward to what lies ahead in my future as a 'runner'!

No comments:

Post a Comment