Sunday, January 9, 2011

I want my own helicopter

12!!! That's right, 12 miles! I haven't run that long all at once since I ran the last half I did in 2007! 


It was exhilarating!!



Saturday we had our 12 mile run. The most we'll run before the race at the end of the month. I am not going to lie, I was nervous as heck.  I had a lazy week running, and even though I've run during the holidays, they weren't my best shall we say. 

I was excited to be back with the group however.  There are only about 7 of us left from the original 25 in my time group that started back in September. We actually know each other's names now, talk about our lives and support each other through the run. It makes such a difference because running is really a mental sport as much as it is physical.  Physically, yeah I am in shape, not as good of shape as I want to be, but I am in shape enough.  But to get through a longer run it's all about mind over body.  Having the group helps that, keeps the focus.

We started out at a little faster pace because 4 miles of the run was hilly and we wanted to slow a little once we got up in the hills but didn't want to lose over all time.  Started out on the trails and ended up in Tarrytown, behind the lake, which is one of THE nicest 'hoods in town.

That helped during the run, staring at all the mansions.  I am not kidding. Just stunning homes, over looking the lake. With private docks, multiple buildings on the property and then the mother of all...the helicopter.  We were going up this hill and we saw a bridge over the street. We thought the huge house just had a bridge over to get to their dock. NO. IT WAS A HELICOPTER.  I know a lot of famous people live up there, who knows who's house it was but it was amazing.  It was a smaller one, black, probably held 6 people tops.  But wow...

Most of the run was through this gorgeous area. We all felt awesome.  Kept a good pace, enjoyed each others company and looking at houses.  Ended up back on the trails for the last 2.5 miles. Me and this girl Melissa who I 'compete' with...as in I try to keep up with her to keep myself going because besides the coach she's the fastest in our group. Well, we got a great kick in those last 2.5 miles and ran it in together about 1 min ahead of the rest of the group. It was an AMAZING feeling.

We all did a few walking laps around the parking lot and then stretched.  Also, we planned to meet up before the race in a few weeks and at least start out together to get a good pace going and then go from there so we don't all start too fast. 

I am sore today but not too bad. Just tight calves from the hills.  And my knees are great.  I feel a great sense of accomplishment. I can do this.  And since I can do that, I need to just be more motivated during the week. I have looked into several groups in town that do week day runs and see if I can't join them.  Waiting to hear back on details.  Then I can run in the dark since I'll be with other people.

I do need to lose weight, and tone my fat arms...but this is a start. A great thing. I KNOW I can finish the race if I am feeling good that day.  I have a time goal but really, I just want to run the thing and feel as good as I did running that 12 miles. That is all that matters at this point.  Trying to take it one foot fall at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment